Tools and Equipment
NOTE: This page is still being updated and expanded to include information on what tools are in what areas, who the area captains are for those areas, the 'tool privilege' (red/yellow/green tags) requirements for each tool, the list of persons who can grant red-tag privilege for each tool, specs and manuals for the tools, and lots more information. That's a lot of work, so please be patient...
Certain tools require membership and Rockford MakerSpace training to use. Details are on the following page:
- Tool Privilege & Access - Tools sorted by member and guest access.
Many of our tools require design or operating software to use. The following page has a list of free or open source software.
There are a number of sites providing free graphics which can be used with the laser cutter/engraver, 3D printer, etc. The following page lists some of our favorites.
CNC / Metal Shop
Area Captains: Doug Heinbecker, Kevin Holdmann
- Tormach milling machine and tools
- Mini desktop CNC mill - Mill mostly small, wood, plastic, foam, or flat projects
- Manual desktop mill
- Manual lathe with tools (not operational yet; seeking affection and care)
- Metal band saw
- Hydraulic press
- Various hand tools
Laser Cutting / Engraving
Area Captains: Jake Ellenberger, Bob Wise
Electronics Lab / Classroom
Area Captains: Eric Williams, Rob Wise
- Various computer workstations and laptops, with ethernet and wifi
Industrial oven, skillet, and other heating elements
- Soldering station
- Digital multimeter(s)
- Various hand tools
- Free wi-fi
Area Captains: Jake Ellenberger, Daniel Smith
Area Captains: Bob Wise, Rob Wise
- basic screen printing supplies
Arts & Crafts
Area Captains: Ozzy Smith, Sonnie Glusman
Area Captains: Sonnie Glusman, Ozzy Smith
Area Captain: Rob Wise, Daniel Smith
- Table saws
- Drill press
- Table jigsaw
- Radial arm saw
- Ryobi 12-inch compound miter saw
- Router table
- Mortising machine
- Wet tile saw
- Abrasive blast cabinet
- Various hand tools and power tools
- Air compressor
- Dust collection system
- Shop vac
NOTE: The following was what was on the old wiki. We need to go through this and clean it up, then move each item to the appropriate areas, above. That's a lot of work, so please be patient...
What we currently have
Note: This list may not be up-to-date or guarantee that we have something. Equipment could belong to you, a company, or someone else, and they are free to take it back (after loaning it) any time.
See something missing here, but wish to see it? Well, may your wish come true!
Portable Table Saws (2)
- Grit blasting table
- Air Compressor (1 working, and 1 bigger one needs help)
- Coffeemakers (2 Mr. Coffees, 1 Keurig K10)
Manual Forklifts (1 or 2)
- Various materials and supplies, some for reuse or broken down equipment
- Some tables and tool racks